Monday, February 5, 2007

Nice email from Bill Bodine

Bill, thanks for supporting us and thanks for the nice write-up, it saved me some time and your details were accurate.

Thanks!

I don't know that Scott would brag about his sons and daughters accomplishments last weekend, so I'll do it for him here. Kelsey did great, beating her seeded times and providing valuable points to her team as a sophomore. But I thought you'd want to hear how Brady, the senior did (I might have some of this wrong, but this is my understanding of the meet).


Brady, in addition to being part of the 4A State championship swim team:
1. His team won the 200 Medley Relay (backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly (I think), freestyle). When Brady got in the water to swim the second leg of the relay, he was behind by 2.3 seconds. When the next swimmer got in the water, Brady had built a lead of 1.54 seconds (a difference of 3.84 seconds). His team ended up winning by 2.24 seconds.
2. He won the 200 IM (Butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle) in a close race by .54 seconds.
3. He won the 200 Breaststroke with a time of 57.95, beating his seeded time of 59.63 by 1.68 seconds. The closest competitors time was 1:04:28. Evidently the way it works is that in high school some national board determines the fastest times in the country. They post two times. If a swimmer swims under the slower of the two times, they are considered a 'candidate' to be an all-american. If they swim under the faster of the two times they are automatically an all-american (I think this is how it works. I'm not an expert in swimming, but I looked it up for a bit this morning). Any way, the posted times for the breaststroke are: 58:74 and 59:66. So Brady EASILY made the automatic time.
4. His team won the final event of the day, the 400 Freestyle (4 swimmers, 100 yards of freestyle each). I hear that for swimming, the is the signature event, kind of like the 400 relay is the track meets at the olympics. This was the next event after the breaststroke, so I guess Brady, didn't get a lot of rest time. Anyway, when Brady got in the water as the anchor (last swimmer),
his team was behind by 1.38 seconds. In Brady's first 50 yards he swam a 21.99 (which by the way, is a time that would have won state in the 50 this year, but I guess swimmers can swim a maximum of two individual events and 2 relay events.). So at this point his team is now ahead by .17 seconds. His second 50, he swam a 25.04. This is a 100 time of 47.03 (this time would have won state by 1.17 seconds. The all-american candidate and automatic times are: 46:65 and 47:18). So his team won the event by 1.63 seconds.

Naturally Brady was awarded the "Swimmer of the meet" title. Which, I guess is the MVP trophy for swimming.

Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment