Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Part of 1/5/09 Letter

Neonawas Allim!

It was wonderful talking to you all, I hope Christmas was super! They celebrated Christmas here but New Year is way more popular here though. They started celebrating the 31st at 6:00 pm. They gathered in the streets and walked around banging anything that made noise together. They did that all through that night, all the next day (Jan. 1) all that night and about til 12:00 am (Jan. 2). They’re nuts! They just go insane. Lots of people get super, super drunk and create havoc on New Years Eve. So many people and so serious in fact, that our Branch President (Macki) and the 1st counselor armed themselves with pistols, handcuffs, and a spotlight they scrounged up. Them, along with two other members patrolled (literally) around church property all night long so that no drunks could come to us. They weren’t taking chances. Ha They guarded all night long! I woke up at one point to hear a heated argument between Macki and a drunk, and the gist of what Macki told him was you better leave or (you fill in the blank). The drunk decided then that it would be a good time to leave and that was all. Fun stuff!

Just before New Years our tank ran out of water. That’s a pretty big problem because that’s our water for showering, drinking, and going to the bathroom. With it being completely gone and it not raining for a week now we are living literally Chuukese style. We hike a mile up the mountain so we can take a shower out of a natural well, with the rest of the Chuukese. We take our bathroom breaks outside amongst the coconut trees and drinking water, well we just pray really hard that we don’t get sick. Ha. No worries! I love it more than ever now! I’m really enjoying the time here in Wichap. Here’s the sacrament meeting attendance from the first week I got here to the one we just had, 1st: 21 in attendance, 2nd: 22 attended, 3rd: 36 attended, 4th: 52 attended! Yeah! It was so amazing I could hardly believe it. All the less actives responded so well to our meetings, and they all came! It was undescribeable, the Branch President and I both started crying, I’m such a girl, but I was just way too happy. The Lord has blessed us and the people of Wichap, because of Him we are able to do the things we do out here, I love it!

The crazy Chuukese doctors told me that if I wanted to get over my sickness that I would have to completely stop talking for three days. I just looked at them and walked out. Crazy doctors, they don’t understand. Elder M knows NO Chuukese, and it’s coming pretty rough for him, not talking is not an option so the sickness stays.

No comments:

Post a Comment