4/13/10
Ran Allim Ami!
I gotta tell Zach that you are the best sibling writer in the family. Yep, no question about it. Where are you at in the Book of Mormon Zach, you better not be behind man!
Thanks for getting everything and sending that stuff mom. I went to the Translation department today and filled out the rest of that paper. I think, but I'm not sure, they're going to give me some test in English now and then a test in Chuukese... something like that. Hopefully I'll be able to get it all set up while I'm here so it will be super smooth when I get home. It's interesting, the translation department for all the languages in this mission is located in Guam so there are a few translators that work in the actual building (none for Chuuk) but the great majority work from the United States in coordination with the translation department in Salt Lake. It is something that requires a computer and it works around your own time which, like you said dad, works great for a schedule with swimming. I'm pumped to do it mostly because there are more Chuukese than any of the other islands and they know the least English out of all the islands so it definitely can do a ton of good I'm down for anything to help out my Chuukese pwipwi's. If I get everything set up over here President DeValle(head of translation) could have me trained in the program that they use and after that anything he asks you to translate you work on it. He said it's mostly Church Manuals (there's like two translated ha) First Presidency and Relief Society Messages and a few other things on the side. But that seems to be the majority. I talked to President Dowdle about translation and he was pumped about me doing it because he says that he requests stuff to be translated all the time but the Chuukese translation can't do it because they only have three consistent people and so they do the bare minimum, but when he found out Elder Sorensen and I wanted to translate he got way pumped because then he could get a ton more Chuukese material translated and published. Apparently there's been one returned missionary for the past five years that has done the bulk of Chuukese translation and at times he's the only one. Everyone on Guam knows about translation stuff and when they hear me speaking Chuukese at church they always talk to me about doing translation. There was a fireside more than two months ago where I translated for a couple of speakers and I had at least five different people at General Conference come up to me and compliment me on my Chuukese and how I sounded like a Chuukese person way back at the fireside. I'm always like: "Thanks" but then I'm thinking: "you're Chamorro you don't know Chuukese" or "you're Pohnpeian you didn't have a clue what I was saying". There were a couple of non-Chuukese kids who looked at me, afraid, and then turn to their parents and say: "There's that Chuukese guy." ha ha.
Ok, sorry about that whole thing. The rest of the trip was great! Palau was a part of the FSM but separated and became it's only Republic and is doing really really well. It's really really nice and I guess it's a popular place for celebrities to go visit. Palauan is a crazy language and the missionaries try to learn it but they struggle. Most everyone knows English so the drive to learn the language isn't all there. They always teach in English except for Elder B who knows the most Paluan. I went with him and I told him I didn't want to hear one thing in English from him.... He did great and I was surprised at how well he did. I guess there has been only two or three missionaries who have learned Palaun enough to teach all the lessons. Elder B got through the first lesson three times and I think he took courage after he did that and got excited to really go after the language and tackle it. I think he'll be one that will teach all the lessons in Palaun. Palauns all know English but it's not good English, it's poor and so teaching them in a poor 2nd language it's hard to tap into the emotions of the people. Hopefully it works out. Palauns and Yapese are the most similar looking. They are both really really dark and really really short. I thought I was in Jamaica at times they were so dark. The missionaries were doing great and it was fun to work with them all. I would have to say my favorite island after Chuuk would be Yap or Kosrae. Yap because the outer islanders are really just Chuukese, and Kosrae is just nice. The next time we leave island I'll be going back to CHUUK!!! I'm going to be able to make it back for the dedication of the Mwan Chapel!!!!!! And guess who I'll be going with? You know how Elder Christopherson is coming to Guam, well.... he had a nephew back in the day that served a mission in Chuuk, and he wants to go check it out! So he'll be going to Chuuk and he'll actually dedicate the Mwan chapel as well! That is so cool!!! An Apostle going to Chuuk!!! That's insane! He's only coming to Guam and Chuuk, man Chuuk is so cool! Now I'm started on a Chuuk jimboree I better end soon or you'll get 30 more lines of Chuuk! ha
Since Elder Sorensen is in Chuuk and doesn't have e-mail............. I have his mom's phone number....... He said that she would be up for getting him all signed up if she knew about it. The other guys are here on Guam and I told them about it. They can hook it up with their parents. Her name is........ I can't remember..........Sister Sorensen? ha Sorry I would e-mail her but he can't remember her e-mail address.
General Conference was way good! The talk you liked dad was definitely a good one. The priesthood session in general was outstanding! It was cool to watch all of general conference!
Ok I think I forgot like 36 things I wanted to tell you all but I can't remember them any more!! I'll probably remember as soon as I leave the office! ha
Ua fakkun ennetin unusan tongeikemi!!!!! "I really truly wholey love you guys!!!!!"
Don't die
Tong Ennet fiti Jaiwak
Elder Wells "Ito"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment